Let me send you my blog post updates! Enter Your E-mail:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Do What You Love To Do Even If You Don't Like To

Last week I got a five day long vacation. It's not the Boracay out-of-town kind of vacation. By the way, if you're a non-Filipino(Pinoy) who don't know what in the world Boracay is then I suggest you to borrow some power from the almighty Google.

This is a great chance for me to do what I loved to do. I read books, sing with my guitar, attend business presentations, talked to my neighbors, seek advice from my mentors, eat, exercise(a bit), post some blog posts in a very personal way of writing with no respect for grammar(haha).

Being back again to work was not a pain-in-the-neck to me because I was rejuvenated doing things that I love to do. I do not hate my job, it was a great blessing to me for three years and counting but I had to admit that I hate to do some of the things that I'm currently doing there. Some self-proclaimed wise people will asked you to resign on that job and find something that your so passionate to do. Actually based on my experience, I may read that question in some books or online articles or heard from a seminar but none had really asked me to do that personally.

It was me who asked that question to myself. I been thinking on doing things on my terms but for years I'm not sure on what were the things that I will do even if would not be paid to do it. Some love music, writing, dancing, joking, spitting, climbing tall buildings, drinking vinegar, opening beer bottles with their teeth, watching sunset, feeding crocodiles, organizing rock concerts, licking lollipops, ironing curtains, washing dishes, waving to strangers, eating seedless grapes, volunteering in blood donation, adopting cats, counting stars at night(obviously!), creating Facebook applications, collecting anime' action figures, surfing, exploring to underground rivers(you can visit Palawan in the Philippines to see the world's most wonderful underground river) and many simple and out-of-this-galaxy things that we can think of that we can do.

Asking yourself what you love to do was for me an extremely valuable question to ask. Maybe it's like asking yourself what on earth am I here for. I know that many of us asked that to themselves. Though the question is simple yet the answers don't seem to be that simple really. In this world were people were so busy keeping up to merely survive to provide to themselves and their family, sometimes we don't even bother to think of the answer to that question. Yes, we still think of what-if things but some situations forced us to just follow the flow. I've been in that and it was really difficult to fight the status quo. We work to live but the situations on where we are right now forced us to do the vice-versa instead. We don't want to challenge ourselves to do some things that might benefit us and other people in the long run. We're satisfied wearing old shoes 'cause their more comfortable than wearing a new one.

I can say right now that I do the things that I love to do even if I don't like to. I can't blame you if you were confused by that. It's so contradicting I agree. My point was we sometimes find the answer to the question "what do you love to do?" but somehow we failed to do so because we don't like the price that we had to pay for. I like blogging but sometimes I don't do 'cause I don't like to exposed how I speak my mind, I don't want to be laugh-out because of my ideas(and with my grammar though I'm improving), I feared that no one will care or even bother to read and sometimes I think I'm just wasting my time. Though I don't like to do that because of some reasons but I still managed to do it. None told me to do this but I did 'cause I love to.

Did I said that I hate some of the things that I currently doing in my job? Well, I did. To make myself safe when my upper superior out-of-the-blue read this post(blink). Though I don't like some of the things at work, I still do my best ensuring that I'm not wasting the money paid for me from my company thinking that was investment for my character and values. I love the people there which were backbone of any company.

My practical advice would be when you were in a situation where you want to quit your job but you can't because you and your family need to survive. Please don't quit but do some things outside of that work that will help you find more opportunity to do the things that you love to do and gave yourself a favor by avoiding being a zombie. We're human beings and not human doings.

The late Steve Jobs brilliantly quote:

"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesize new things."

Steve Jobs creates new ideas precisely because he had spent a lifetime of doing unrelated things. Steve Jobs studied calligraphy in college, meditated in an Indian ashram(I think this an Indian version of yoga) and evaluated The Four Seasons hotel as value for their customer service.

So what Steve Job saying was it is so hard to connect things when you're not challenging yourself to do anything except your work.

This is just an opinion. You can agree or disagree. I would be be more than happy for any comments. :)

Just some add-ons. Hours after I wrote this blog post. Our country's pride Manny Pacquiao will soon emerged with another great Mexican fighter Manuel Marquez. This day will be again a more peaceful Philippines 'cause every Filipino even our pasaway kababayans(troublesome fellow Filipinos) stop on what their doing just to watch how our Filipino champ knocks-out his opponent.

The Wonderful Underground River of Puerto Princesa

Another thing that will made Filipinos to be proud of. The New 7 Wonders of Nature had finally announced their list although provisional for now. Our very own Puerto Princesa Undergorund River had made it to the list. You can go to new7wonders.com for more details about these incredible wonders of nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...